That's what I wanted to call this blog, but the URL was already taken. So was Zen-Poker as well as Zen and Poker. Poker and Zen was available, but it didn't have quite the same ring to it.
I was a little bummed at first, but settled for Spiritual Poker instead, taking solace in the idea that everything happens for a reason, much like this blog.
I've been meaning to start one for quite some time now, but the inspiration finally came last night after I busted out of an online poker tournament. I went all-in on a call even though my instincts told me not to. I know it sounds silly, but getting eliminated on a stupid mistake upset me tremendously (I'm very competitive) and my grumpy disposition then drew the ire of my fiancée.
Later on, after I had calmed down, it occurred to me that poker is a metaphor for life.
I am by no means the first person to ever make this comparison. Kenny Rogers will forever be remembered for "The Gambler," one of my all-time favorite songs, which hit #1 in 1979 and also earned him a Grammy. Incidentally, that song was penned by Don Schlitz, who also co-wrote "When You Say Nothing At All," the song my fiancée and I fell in love to.
Anyhow, the point is I busted out of the tournament because I ignored my gut, a valuable tool in poker as well as life. But I did learn an important lesson in the process, which also gave birth to this blog.
I guess everything really does happen for a reason.
No comments:
Post a Comment